Monday, January 5, 2009

Confession


I'm all about keeping it real, so I have a confession to make. I suffer from rhinitis medicamentosa. In layman's terms that means I am a nasal spray junkie.

Don't laugh, I'm serious. I think my office mates are contemplating an intervention. I can't stand it when my nose is plugged and now I have spiraled into the abyss of nose spray hell. It is the monkey on my back.

I have nasal spray in the living room, in my backpack, on the night stand by my bed, and on in my desk at work. One time I was at the airport in Anchorage headed back to Kotzebue and I realized that I had left my nasal spray in the hotel. I thought I could hack it, after all we would be in Kotzebue in a couple hours....but all I could think about was my stuffed up nose. I lasted for about 15 minutes before I was desperate. I headed to the EuroCafe praying that they had some. Much to my relief they had a Afrin. I'm so pathetic that I didn't even bat an eyelash at the fact that it cost $13 for that tiny little bottle.

It's a very sad thing.

By the way....the first person who can tell me what movie that picture comes from wins a prize :)

.

10 comments:

jen said...

Yikes on the nose spray! Can you start using plain saline, to wean yourself off? I have no clue if that would work, I'm one of those weirdos who can't imagine squirting stuff up my nose... I'd make a terrible cocaine addict, heh.

And I'm 99% sure that's Ricky, from the movie Better Off Dead. (Two dollars! I want my two dollars!) You don't say what the winner gets, but I'm hoping for some pickled beluga! :)

jen said...

Whoops, hit "publish" instead of "preview"...

Maybe try a neti pot?

Anonymous said...

Yep, that is Ricky from Better of Dead. One of my favorite 80's movies. Alas, no, you don't get the pickled Beluga.

You do however get your very own bottle of nasal spray!

No, I joke, you get an 8x10 print of one of my photos. If you want it you can email me your address and I will send it to you. My email address is on the blog sidebar.

Ishmael said...

Here's a couple tips that worked for me; feel free to mix-and-match:

Start reducing in one nostril, and what that one's normal, do the other one;

Crank up the humidity in your home and work place;

take Sudafed;

Saline solution (check out Netipots or however they're spelled).

Anonymous said...

Hey, why are we assuming she WANTS to wean off the nasal spray? Maybe she LIKES it!

CD

Finnskimo said...

Oh, we all know she likes her nasal spray! That's like me giving up my chapstick. I'll steal chapstick from my kids in order to have that lickable feeling of semi oily semi sweet taste of cherry chapstick! Mmmmmm... don't let them intervene! I have some Zycam spray if you want it (or however its spelled!)

Anonymous said...

What an appropriate time to say you're IT! You've been tagged in a listing game -- this is not my fault, I didn't ask to be tagged either. You are supposed to list 5 things you consider 'addictions,' and then tag 5 people to do the same. Trust me, although it might not seem like it, this means I like your blog!

(wish I'd known the movie - what a great prize!)

Anonymous said...

Ha, I'm have to go bum your Zycam cause I'm too cheap to buy that stuff myself.

Peruby said...

I knew the movie right off, but I am late (as usual). But that is okay because I am uncomfortable winning prizes. The movie is one of my faves, too. People think my daughter and I are nuts because whenever we hear "2 dollars" we start yelling: "I want my 2 dollars! Where's my 2 dollars?"

I am guessing that your nostrils are stuffing up from withdrawal of the nasal spray, leaving you in a vicious cycle. But your probably already know that.

Buffy said...

I totally understand! I had bad colds in college and was completely addicted to Afrin as it was the ONLY thing that worked to clear it up. My roommate started hiding it on me and told me I had a problem. It was really hard not to use it. Alas, I have no remedy ideas for you. I have also heard of the neti pot but was as freaked out by it as you are. How about acupuncture? That's supposed to help everything! Do you have such a thing in your town?