Saturday, January 5, 2008

Polar Bears

ANCHORAGE DAILY NEWS
Polar bear's village visit ends in its death
NOORVIK: Residents are warned that two others have been seen.


By JAMES HALPIN
jhalpin@adn.com | jhalpin@adn.com


Published: January 5th, 2008 12:12 AM
Last Modified: January 5th, 2008 04:52 AM


A polar bear that wandered uncommonly far inland to the Northwest Alaska village of Noorvik and tore through some trash has been shot and killed because of safety concerns, according to village officials.

At least two other bears have been spotted near the village, 45 miles east of Kotzebue and miles from the nearest ocean ice pack, prompting officials to warn residents of their presence and urge caution. (you can read the rest of the article here)!


A friend of mine told me about this a few days ago. She said her grandma in Noorvik said someone had shot a polor bear. I didn't believe it. I told her that maybe those fellas in Noorvik had been drinking to much left over egg nogg. I guess she was right.

I've seen a lot of animals around here....some big scary ones. Polar bears, in my opinion, are the Mac Daddy of the big scaries. Relatively speaking, Noorvik is prettty close to Kotzebue....close enough to make me look over my shoulder.

Oh look...it's Knut the cute cuddly baby polar bear. Isn't he Charming? Uh-huh.


Then they turn into a thousand pounds of fur, claws and teeth that like to eat.....lots. They think nothing of killing a seal just to eat the blubber off and leave the carcass for the foxes. Last time I looked in the mirror I was none too skinny, so blubber eating bears hanging out in the neighborhood make me reeeaaaaaal uneasy.

No comments: