Thursday, March 13, 2008
Thirteen Ways to Eat Sailor Boy Pilot Bread
Today's Thursday Thirteen will honor Sailor Boy Pilot Bread crackers! These crunchy rounds of true Alaskana attract at least 5 hits a day from google to my blog Who are you people???? Are you Alaskans far from home craving our favorite snack? Are you survivalists looking for a food guaranteed to survive any disaster? Come on, speak up, I know your there.
13. Sailor Boy and Goober PBJ. Never mind Powerbars. It is the perfect Alaskan bush sustenance and a boating necessity. It's fast, it's easy, it doesn't take up much room.
12. Sailor Boy and akutaq (eskimo ice cream) Akutaq is a mix of caribou fat, seal oil, sugar and Berries. It is high powered Eskimo fuel guaranteed to keep you going sitting out on the ice jigging for sheefish.
11. Sailor Boy Pizza. I wrote about that a while back. It's fast and easy and keeps kids happy.
10. Sailor Boy and cheese. That's what my boy is eating in the picture above. Another kid favorite. It's a fast snack they can get themselves. As you can see my son has a particular way he eats it. He must nibble the cheese around the edges until it fits the round cracker and then eats the rest of it.
9. Sailor Boy and tuna salad.....I guess you also include in this ham salad, egg salad, potato salad, macaroni salad....basically anything that has mayonnaise in it.....which brings me to ....
8. Sailor Boy and Mayo. This is a Kotzebue staple. I know people who cannot possibly eat their supper without this.
7. Toasted Sailor Boy and butter. Take your crackers, throw them in the toaster, butter them up and then try and eat it without the butter dripping through the holes all over your shirt.
6. Sailor boy and SPAM....which of course includes mayonnaise. This is another essential because, as we know, SPAM is one of the food groups.
5. Sailor Boy with crisco and sugar. I'm not kidding. My son's Ahna (grandmother) used to love this when she was a kid she said it's delicious. I'll take her word for it. She usually tells that story as an accompaniment to the story of walking 15 miles to town to buy sugar.
4. Sailor Boy crackers crumbled up in your caribou soup....or moose soup, or rabbit soup, or musk ox soup or fish soup, or duck soup, or goose soup or moose nose soup..........
3. Sailor Boy crackers and fermented salmon eggs........Absolutely vile, but I know plenty of people who love it.
2. These are the best teething biscuits around.
1. And my personal favorite.....Sailor boy and smoked oysters. Another perfect combination to take when hunting. One can of oysters and 5 pilot crackers is a meal. There has been more than one time that I have eaten this while shivering under a blue tarp in a boat, in the middle of nowhere, hunting caribou on a cold, raining, fall day. Aaaahhh....memories.