Sunday, July 19, 2009

Osprey

.

While in one of the channels of the Kobuk River yesterday, I saw this bird.




We have several different kind of raptors in the northwest arctic but I had never seen this kind of bird around here before.




There were two of them, a male and a female. It looked as though there was one large chick in the nest at the top of the spruce tree.




I mentioned the bird to someone who has a camp located near the nest. He said he looked it up in a bird book and thought they were Osprey.




When I got home I looked it up too and it does look like an osprey. Osprey are common in certain parts of Alaska but this is the first time I have seen them on the northwest arctic coast. Has anyone else been seeing them around here?





.

4 comments:

Ms. ~K said...

I don't thing I've eer seen an Osprey...Beautiful bird and amazing shots!

aare said...

Shots are amazing,have a look nesting
Osprey...link below:

http://kotinetti.suomi.net/saaksi/index.php

Trish said...

BEAUTIFUL!!

gpc said...

I love ospreys - beautiful shots! I've read that they live in every state but I've mostly seen them in Florida. They are supposedly one of the birds that mates for life.