Saturday, May 24, 2008

Open Water

Photobucket
The Noatak River is open all the way to town. Here is a picture of the mouth of the river. People are already boating up to hunt ducks and geese and gather seagull eggs.




Photobucket
Every year spring feels like a miracle to me. When it is January it sometimes feel like it will take forever for it to warm up and melt the snow and ice. I think the opening of the river was earlier this year than last year. I would have to go back an look through my old pictures to be sure.




Photobucket
Noah and I decided to go up on the hill and have a picnic. I still wasn't feeling well but I was tired of being cooped up in the house.




Photobucket
It was pretty windy. About 15-20mph from the south. At least there were no mosquitoes.




Photobucket
Kaija was having fun chasing all the little birdies...




Photobucket
...but no matter how hard she tried she just couldn't catch any.




Photobucket
On the way home we saw a flock of swans (or are they geese?) flying over town.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Lovely picture of open water. Kaija looks positively giddy to be out running around on dry land.

I guess how you feel in springtime in Alaska is a little like Noah and family felt after being cooped up on The Ark for so long, lol. It's good to see that promise of springtime again!

Fabulous pictures, as always.

BNS said...

Love the shot of Kaija romping with the tongue out -- sheer doggie joy!

Bobbie