Friday, May 9, 2008

Lunatics On Ice

I went hooking for sheefish last night. There were lots of people out on the ice.

Photobucket
Remember what I said about hooking in short sleeves? I wasn't kidding.


Photobucket
I got out there around 6pm. It was about 40 degrees.


Photobucket
For hours hooked and hooked and hooked and I was catching nothing but a bullhead here and a tomcod there.


Photobucket
My friend Bree came with her kids. She's not much of a fisher woman....but she's a good mom and brought her kids out. She caught a fish after only hooking for 20 minutes- darn it. She has a big smile here for the camera....


Photobucket
...but her face in this picture shows what she really thinks about picking up that fish...hahaha.


Photobucket
Here is a view of Kotzebue from out on the ice.


Photobucket
Finally at around 10:30pm the fish started to bite. Not much but enough to give us hope. I eventually caught 3. Here is a pic of two of them with my glove as a size comparison.


Photobucket
Sunset last night was at 12:09am.


Photobucket
There were only three of us hooking lunatics out on the ice by the time we headed home at around 12:45am.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for showing us some of life at 66 degrees north. We'll be there next month!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Holy moly those fish are huge! I loved the commentary with the photos. I really felt like I followed the story and that it felt really personable. Great job, as always!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful