Thursday, December 4, 2008

Free Rice

A friend of mine told me about this website, freerice.com. The premise behind the website is that you do this vocabulary quiz and for each answer you get right they donate 20 grains of rice through the UN World Food Program to help end hunger. I guess the site has been around for a while but this is the first time I have ever done it.

The highest level I got to was 50, but it didn't last long. I sunk down to 44 and stayed there until I lost interest. The scoring is really generous at first. You get answers right and you shoot up, but it's pretty unforgiving when you get some wrong. After losing points it's hard to get them back. I can play this for about 10 minutes before my attention deficit disorder starts getting the best of me.

Anyway, it's free and it's kind of fun, and it's educational. Give it a shot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, guess what word I came across tonight: ungulate. I would not have gotten that right on freerice if I had not read your blog post on dead animals on people's porches! I told you, you're a genius!

CD

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Thanks for the site link! I spent a bit of time on it this morning and donated over 10,000 grains.

Anonymous said...

It is fun! Thanks