Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fishing and Fingers

Photobucket
Today Uyaana and I went hooking for tomcods. We had to go to the store first so I could buy those spikey things that you put on your boots. Last thing I needed was to slip on the ice and mess my knee up some more.



Photobucket
There were quite a few people here and there on the lagoon behind town. When I first got out there the tomcods were biting pretty good.



Photobucket
I caught 12 and then it slowed down.



Photobucket
I decided to move to another spot on the other side of first bridge.



Photobucket
There were more people fishing over there.



Photobucket
The fishing wasn't much better over there but there were other kids for Uyaana to play with so he was happy. Then I decided to go home and cook dinner. I left Uyaana with a friend of mine because he wanted to keep playing with the kids. He came home about an hour and a half later and he was crying like crazy. He and one of his friends were taking loose pieces of ice and hammering them with big rocks. He accidentally smashed his finger with the rock. His whole pinkie finger was purple and swollen. I really thought he broke it so I packed him off to the clinic to get it xrayed.



Photobucket
Lucky for him it wasn't broken but it is still really swollen and tender. He has this lovely splint on his finger now.



Photobucket
He wanted a picture taken of it from both sides.

.

5 comments:

Peruby said...

Ow, ow ow! That looks painful! He has my sympathy. Hope it heals quickly!

CabinDweller said...

How do you like your tomcods?

I'm partial to baked, but like when they're dried and you can eat em with mizigaq. (Not Kotzebue dialect, I know. But I don't remember the word up there.)

Anonymous said...

I like my tomcods frozen, raw, with seal oil. I also like them boiled whole and then eaten with seal oil. I have never had them baked. When you back them do you bake them whole, guts and all????

Becky said...

Wow...12 fish in one fishing expedition? Aside from Sunnies on the lakes of Minnesota, and a couple of dogfish as a kid in Washington, I don't recall ever catching more than one or two fish at a time. That would be like hitting the jackpot for me, lol.

Awww, it's always a bummer when good times are messed up by a banged up finger. Hope he's feeling better soon!

CabinDweller said...

uh, I don't remember. I just remember being served them at a nigipiaq kind of lunch one cold winter day.

but i'll find out. :)