Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer

People ask me if the lack of light in the winter bothers me. By the time you get sick of it being dark out the days start getting longer again. So no, the dark doesn't bother me, but in summer the light will drive you mad. All you want to do is go, go, go, and there are not enough hours in the day.



Photobucket
I have been busy lately. Busy working. Busy boating. Busy going to camp. Busy visiting old friends. Soon I will be fishing for salmon. This is a photo of Hugo Mountain on the Noatak River.



Photobucket
Here are some trees along the Little Noatak River. Trees are something we don't have in Kotzebue but we have in abundance along the river.



Photobucket
I have been busy enjoying the outdoors and taking pictures. Mostly of flowers lately.



Photobucket
Theses are what we call wild onion, but I guess they are actually some kind of chive. They are quite tasty.



Photobucket
These are arctic daisies. They love gravely soil and grow in clumps.



Photobucket
More bluebells.



Photobucket
Ummm....I'm not sure what this yellow stuff is.



Photobucket
And here is the ubiquitous fireweed. This stuff should have been the Alaska state flower instead of the forget-me-not. I love fireweed but it's coming is bitter sweet. It marks the beginning of the end of summer.

5 comments:

Karen Travels said...

Beautiful pics. I really want to visit you. I hope it will be possible!

Someone told me that the fireweed blossoms from bottom to top, and when the last flower on top blossoms it is th end of summer? I don't know if they knew what they were talking about though.

I will be in AK in about 3 weeks or so!!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. I enjoy your blog so much!

Anonymous said...

I think I might have mentioned this once or twice,:) but I LOVE fireweed!! Can you do more pictures of fireweed, just once, please??? A photo-essay of different shots of that one flower? I'll apologize to all your blog readers who DON"T love the flower for you. And do you ever see that Blue Gentian flower that Seth Kantner writes about, the one that Bob Uhl loves (loved?) Is it still rare?
CD

Becky said...

Beautiful photos, Cathy...as always.

You gotta do a book. Use your photos and put all this fabulous information in it.

Those are chives. One of my aunts used to plant a border of that around an herb garden.

Anonymous said...

Cathy, this is your Auntie in NH. On your July blog titled "Summer", I think the yellow flower is yellow sweet clover. I could be wrong, but it's my best guess. Hello to Uyaana, Victor, & Tori.