Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thirteen Ways to Eat Sailor Boy Pilot Crackers

.
This is a re-post from a couple of years ago. This post is one that generates many of the hits I get from Google searches. Because of it's popularity I thought I would re-post it for the new folks who may not have seen it yet.



Today's Thursday Thirteen will honor Sailor Boy Pilot Bread crackers! These crunchy rounds of true Alaskana attract at least 5 hits a day from google to my blog Who are you people???? Are you Alaskans far from home craving our favorite snack? Are you survivalists looking for a food guaranteed to survive any disaster? Come on, speak up, I know your there.

13. Sailor Boy and Goober PBJ. Never mind Powerbars. It is the perfect Alaskan bush sustenance and a boating necessity. It's fast, it's easy, it doesn't take up much room.

12. Sailor Boy and akutaq (eskimo ice cream) Akutaq is a mix of caribou fat, seal oil, sugar and Berries. It is high powered Eskimo fuel guaranteed to keep you going sitting out on the ice jigging for sheefish.

11. Sailor Boy Pizza. I wrote about that a while back. It's fast and easy and keeps kids happy.

10. Sailor Boy and cheese. Another kid favorite. It's a fast snack they can get themselves. My boy has a particular way he eats it. He must nibble the cheese around the edges until it fits the round cracker and then eats the rest of it.

9. Sailor Boy and tuna salad.....I guess you also include in this ham salad, egg salad, potato salad, macaroni salad....basically anything that has mayonnaise in it.....which brings me to ....

8. Sailor Boy and Mayo. This is a Kotzebue staple. I know people who cannot possibly eat their supper without this.

7. Toasted Sailor Boy and butter. Take your crackers, throw them in the toaster, butter them up and then try and eat it without the butter dripping through the holes all over your shirt.

6. Sailor boy and SPAM....which of course includes mayonnaise. This is another essential because, as we know, SPAM is one of the food groups.

5. Sailor Boy with crisco and sugar. I'm not kidding. My son's Ahna (grandmother) used to love this when she was a kid she said it's delicious. I'll take her word for it. She usually tells that story as an accompaniment to the story of walking 15 miles to town to buy sugar.

4. Sailor Boy crackers crumbled up in your caribou soup....or moose soup, or rabbit soup, or musk ox soup or fish soup, or duck soup, or goose soup or moose nose soup..........

3. Sailor Boy crackers and fermented salmon eggs........Absolutely vile, but I know plenty of people who love it.

2. These are the best teething biscuits around.

1. And my personal favorite.....Sailor boy and smoked oysters. Another perfect combination to take when hunting. One can of oysters and 5 pilot crackers is a meal. There has been more than one time that I have eaten this while shivering under a blue tarp in a boat, in the middle of nowhere, hunting caribou on a cold, raining, fall day. Aaaahhh....memories.

.

11 comments:

Dane Bramage said...

I should have had lunch before reading your post. Now I am starved and crackers and Spam sounds like a "Treet" right now.


My T13 is up 13 Things I Should Have Said and the 13 Things I Said. Stop by if you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

I love Pilot & Tuna Salad.

1. Mix tuna with mayo~ with garlic salt & pepper
2. Toast Pilot Bread.
3. Place a slice of cheese on P. Bread while warm (watch out; those things are hotter than EVER when they first come out the toaster!)
4. Melted cheese and nice cold tuna salad on a warm p. bread. YUMMO!

Anonymous said...

You forgot the VERY best way - on the beach, topped with mayo and freshly caught, freshly grilled salmon. I'm not sure there's a better meal than that, even in a 5 star restaurant. Yummo!

CD

Kathleen Taylor said...

I didn't realize that Pilot Bread was an Alaskan treat. My grandma (Inupiaq from Kotzebue/Point Hope etc) used to have it at her house all the time when I was a kid, in Snohomish, WA. Thanks for the memory jog.

Peter Hilts said...

#14 is thick with peanut butter and then covered in raisins. Good while waiting for an opening in the Mouth of the Noatak.

Peter Hilts (Kumuk) born in OTZ and used to help family run the Hamburger Hut on Front Street.

Anonymous said...

now we all want to go out and buy some to try out--and you can't buy it in California----

Conchscooter said...

One has to suppose Carr's water biscuits are too...frou frou for caribou fat?

Anonymous said...

I love smoked salmon and cream cheess on pilot crackers. Also love pilot crackers and chili.

Cate said...

I used to eat pilot bread, dried sugared pineapple, and miso soup every day for lunch.

That was before I read the ingredients. I suppose if there is a nuclear disaster I'll be grateful for hydrogenated oil but until that time I can't bring myself to eat it.

I mourn the loss of pilot bread from my life nearly every day when I see it relished around me.

Any entrepenuers out there who want to create a zero trans fat pilot cracker? I'll pay healthily in beluga, moose, and mukluk.

Becky said...

I just can't get past the moose nose soup.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree Pilot Bread + Smoked Oysters is where it's at! I love seafood, but for some reason smoked oysters always scared me till I tried them. They are a whole different beast than a fresh oyster and darn good.