Saturday, November 28, 2009

Lion's Club Christmas Bazaar

.

Today was the annual Kotzebue Lion's Club Christmas Bazaar. There are usually two or three big bazaars during the holiday season. People sell all sorts of things at the bazaars, handmade items, baked goods, Mary Kay stuff, gift sets, used items, photography, anything. It is also a good time to be visit with people.



There are always plenty of handmade items. On this table there were atikluqs (kuspuks), yarn socks, knitted hats and a hand made men's hunting parka.




This table had these beautiful hair clips. There were these with the circular design...




...and these butterflies.




I bought the purple one for myself. I couldn't resist. It is about 4.5 inches long and 2 inches wide and the tassels hang down about three inches.




This is my table where I was selling some of my photos. Some of them were framed.




I only had a few frames left so mostly I was selling matted photos. I am going to pick up some more frames in Anchorage this week.




There was artwork made with walrus ivory, mammoth ivory and baleen.




These were interesting little fellas.




And beautiful earrings.




Seth Kantner was there selling prints also.




He was also selling copies of his books, Ordinary Wolves and Shopping for Porcupine. You can check out some of Seth's other writing at Dispatches From the Edge in Orion Magazine online.




Maija was selling sourdough starter, homemade BBQ sauce, and jarred cookie mix.




She was also selling knives that her husband, Dean, makes.




Beautiful handmade mukluks. The pair on the left are made with black and white calfskin, purple suede leather at the bottoms and tops and black beaver trim. The smaller pair is also black and white calfskin and it has black suede and brown beaver. They each have beaded accents on them. Very cute.




Here are some nice hats. The one with the moose on it has sheared beaver which is sooooo soft.




Here is Uyaana and his best buddy, Max. Max is Maija's stepson. He and his twin sister Maddie come up for Kotzebue for school breaks and summer vacations. When he is here he and Uyaana are always together. They both speak fluent Pokemon.




This baby was so cute I had to take her photo.

Next weekend is the Catholic Church Holiday Bazaar which runs for two days.

.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would loved to have seen your photos!

Rebecca
NC

Anonymous said...

why don't you sell photos on line??? The Calif guy.

JacksDad said...

I would hate to think how much money I would have spent! I guess it's good that i just get to see the pictures instead!

Ishmael said...

wow, where do I start? I'll take a hunting parka, an antler-handled ulu, that sweet ivory walrus (best I've ever seen!), that sealskin hat, a signed copy of Ordinary Wolves, some cookie mix and one each of your photos.

Anonymous said...

I love bazaars and this one looks so neat. Everything is so tempting! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Liz
http://ninnysnotesblog.blogspot.com

Bragger said...

I wanna come up there for a bazaar!

Anonymous said...

How much is that walrus?? Can I buy it from 5,000 miles away? Will it arrive without being in a million pieces?

Rodney
CO

Becky said...

That looks like a great bazaar...I loved that ivory walrus, and those adorable little butterfly mukluks. I wish I had a little girl to buy them for!

Finnskimo said...

Oh my gosh, I always look like that in your blogs! haha. And that photo of Max and Uyaan...priceless!

Can't wait for the Catholic Bazaar. Send me some Chili-feed pics... :)

Lee C said...

I read down through all the blogs I could see. Your pictures are wonderful; I especially enjoyed the ones of your dogs playing in the snow. I read about how one of your dogs chews the other's collar off. I was glad you decided not to use a chain collar. One of our dogs was chewing the other's collar off, & I put a chain collar on her. A few days later, while we were away from home, he got one of his teeth caught in the chain and accidentally choked her to death. We were devastated. I don't want any other family ever to lose their pet the same way.