In the early morning hours of Saturday, September 25th, three houses belonging to Homer and Margaret Russell, Chuck and Barbara Janitscheck and Henry and Eva Booth burned to the ground. They barely made it out with their lives and the clothes on their backs. A fourth house, owned by Dolly Sours, was extensively damaged by the flames.
In an effort to raise money to assist these families Maija and are are hosting a fundraiser. Here's how it will work.....
We have been collecting donations of locally made items. For every $10 dollars that you donate to the Kotzebue House Fire Fund, your name will be entered into a drawing for these items. After you donate email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maija at email@example.com and let us know how much you donated (confirmation of donation would be nice, but we will go with the honor system too). So for example, if you donate $50 your name will be entered 5 times. If you donate $10 your name will be entered once.
The prizes are still coming in from all over the region. Here is some of the stuff you could win...
Deluxe handmade Knife By Siksu's Knives
Eskimo Kuspuk (atikluk) made by a local sewer, custom to fit YOU!
Birch Bark Basket made by a resident of the Upper Kobuk
Mukluk Keychain handsewn
Mitten Keychain Handsewn
2 jars of homemade Aqpik Jelly (made by Red Seeberger)
2 jars of homemade Blueberry Jelly
2 jars of homemade Fireweed Jelly
A beaded Barrette with Mukluks and Flowers sewn into it
Ivory Ulu Earrings
An Ivory Zipper Pull
Three Fillets of Kenai Red Salmon (Vacuum Packed, frozen)
Three Packages Alaskan Halibut (Vacuum Packed, Frozen)
4 Matted Photos by Aqvaluq Photography
Handmade (Beaded) Earrings
Gift Certificate from Margie's Materials in Kotzebue
Grass Handweaved Basket by Kathy Westlake
Swan caribou Antler Carving
1 round trip MILEAGE ticket Kotzebue-Anchorage
(obviously if you live outside the region we will make sure you don't win an IN REGION ONLY prize)
The drawing will be held Friday, September 25th at 6pm Alaska time.
We will pay the postage on prizes that need to be sent out of town/state. Due to customs fees and excessive postage we can only send items within the USA, but please do consider making a donation anyway.
There are 5 ways to donate:
1. Write a check to: KOTZEBUE HOUSE FIRES, and send it to , "C/O Maija Lukin PO BOX 1350, Kotzebue, AK 99752" and email me or Maija the amount.
2. Go to any Wells Fargo bank and tell them that you want to deposit a donation to the account "KOTZEBUE HOUSE FIRES" ACCOUNT: 9790207832.
3. If you have Wells Fargo as your bank and you would like to donate via online transfer you can send it to "Rick Janitscheck" (account custodian for the fund) account# 9790207832.
4. If you are here in Kotzebue you can come see me or Maija at home/work/wherever and donate. If you use this method you don't have to email us.
5. Use the Paypal button below! I think I can accept credit cards now. Please know that the paypal widget does display the first name and last initial of donors. It still leaces you quite anonymous as it does not reveal location of the donor. I don't think that function can be disabled. I will try looking into a different widget.
PLEASE do not forget to email either me or Maija with your name and the amount of your donation, and your preferred method to contact you (name/email/phone/)otherwise we won' be able to enter you into the drawing!