Thursday, April 5, 2007

Spring has Sprung!

There is a beginning and an end to everything, and here in Kotzebue we have reached the beginning of the end of Winter. Spring here is a long affair. April is one of the nicest months in the Arctic. It's still winter in that there is snow and ice and the temp is below the freezing mark, but the sun is high in the sky and shines from 8 in the morning until 10 at night. You can go out on the ice and fish for sheefish for hours in your sweatshirt. The birds start sneaking back. First the little tweety birds, then the seagulls, and then the geese, cranes, swans and ducks. Monday I was taking Kaija for a walk and I thought I heard someone whistling. Suddenly I realized it was a BIRD! It was a Boreal Chickadee!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I would like to say that I took that picture but I stole it off the internet. I was so excited to see that dang chickadee. You would be too if the last little birdy you saw and heard was back in October. The only birds that winter here are ravens, which are basically crows on steroids.

Kaija has been going to work with me everyday. I keep her penned in on my side of the office with her toys and food and water. She likes to sleep at my feet unter the desk. She seems to like it there. She sometimes likes to visit our clients and my coworkers, but mostly she likes to sleep. When she is home she and Raven, our other puppy, tear around the house constantly so I think Kaija knows that at the office she should sleep in peace while she has the chance.

I haven't taken very many pictures. I will have to start carrying my camera around in case I come across anything interesting. In the meantime here is some eskimo dancing from Barrow that some of you may find interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ4GPZo1AaA

No comments: