Friday, February 12, 2010

Missin' Out

.

Living here in the arctic, you are definitely isolated from what goes on in the rest of the world. It is something that you get used to though..... It becomes something that you need. Ok it becomes something I need. Don't get me wrong. I like the occasional trip Outside or trip to Anchorage to catch a movie and do some shopping at the Trifecta of Box Store Goodness, Costo, Walmart and Target, but for the most part I don't miss "The Real World". So when people ask me if I feel like I'm missing out my answer is no.......EXCEPT in ONE small area.



Musical Theatre! I am a musical junkie, and this is pretty much the only area I feel like I am missing out on Outside Stuff.




I have to say that if I still lived on the New England I would be hitting every national tour that landed in Boston and would take at least one trip a year to NYC to cram in a bunch of shows on Broadway.




Last September I was lucky enough to be able to fly to Anchorage and see the Lion King with my friend Trish. It was awesome and we were lucky that the tour scheduled a stop in Anchorage and that we were able to go. Even still I had to fly 540 miles to see it. Not exactly something I can do every time a national tour makes it to Anchorage, which is rare.

This May the national tour of Fiddler on the Roof will be in Seattle. This was to be Topol's last tour as Tevye because he was finally going to retire. I SO wanted to go see it. I was even planning on flying to Seattle just to see it but then I found out Topol had to drop out of the show due to a shoulder injury and I am not flying 1,500 miles to see Harvey Fierstein play Tevye.

So it's a trade off. Even though I miss musical theatre, I wouldn't trade all the shows on Broadway for living in Alaska. Besides, we have enough drama in Kotzebue to keep us all entertained, the only thing missing is someone breaking out in song :)

.

3 comments:

Millsy said...

I know what you mean! I really wanted to see Spamalot while it was ANC.
Has anyone ever tried to start a community theater group in Kotz? I always wondered about that. Does the school have a drama department? If I end up back there, I'd love to try and start something up.

Trish said...

THIS is why I love you.

Someday you and I will go to musicals together.

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Come on, you KNOW you're not REALLY missing anything!!! :)
Musicals. Ugh. Thank God you take good dogsledding pictures, or this might be the deal breaker on our friendship!!! JK -
CD